I have been asked several times lately what I’m eating, how much, and how often. I thought I’d put together a post for the way I am eating right now while I’m in what I call “weight loss” mode. See, I have a total of 150 lbs to lose so I am hard core into this weight loss mode. I’m not eating to enjoy food right now. However, the foods I’m eating taste wonderful and satisfying. I’m eating food to sustain life and reach my goals. I find it easiest to use the same foods each week when I meal plan because it saves me money on my grocery budget, these foods keep me losing weight, and it’s easy to stay on track. I’ve spent the past 14 years overindulging so I don’t need to have the extras or treats. I got an extra 150 lbs on my butt from that! Lesson learned, time to get serious and I can spend the next year saving my body from my old ways. My body deserves real food and love.
With that being said, when I get closer to my goal weight I will add back in foods that add a little variety to my diet, but I will add them back in with moderation. That’s the difference! I will incorporate intermittent fasting (IF) when I overindulge and to help maintain my goal weight.
Here is my schedule: Monday, Wednesday, and Friday I fast 23:1 or in other words, just eat dinner those days. Tuesday, Thursday, Saturday, and Sunday I fast 16:8 or in other words eat during the hours of 12pm to 8pm only. You can change the hours of the 16:8 to earlier or even later..but the main concept is to only eat during that 8 hour window.
Here is the sample menu ideas I have:
- Burgers (turkey, chicken or beef) with a side cruciferous vegetable* that has been roasted or sauted in Olive Oil, Avocado Oil, or butter
- Grilled steak or chicken with a side cruciferous vegetable* that has been roasted or sauted in Olive Oil, Avocado Oil, or butter
- Salads with grilled chicken, bacon, burger or egg with ranch dressing
- Fathead Pizza with cheese & pepperoni
Lasagna made with zucchini and my homemade meat sauce
- Fajitas with riced cauliflower
- Steak and Cheese inside green peppers instead of bread
- Sauted veggies like peppers, onions, broccoli, asparagus with chicken over riced cauliflower
Butter Chicken over riced cauliflower
- Steak or Chicken with veggie kabobs over riced cauliflower
- Keto broccoli cheddar soup
- Eggs a million ways: fried, scrambled, hard boiled, omelet with cheese and salsa, omelet with cheese and bacon, baked in the oven in a ham shell, etc
- On the days I fast 16:8 I will basically have my former breakfast for lunch. I’ll have eggs and bacon for lunch and one of the items above for dinners.
- WATCH YOUR CHEESE INTAKE! Too much cheese will slow weight loss. Too much cheese turns into sugar too! I eat cheese, but eat it in moderation.
- *cruciferous vegetables include: kale, leafy greens, broccoli, asparagus, cabbage, cauliflower, etc.
- I fry, saute or roast my veggies and meats with grass fed butter or organic olive oil/avocado oil.
I am a huge supporter of only purchasing meat and dairy that are grass fed and free range. It’s so important to invest in high quality meats and cheese because our food is actually more nutritious coming from animals that eat their natural food sources. Cows and chickens do not eat grains. Cows EAT GRASS and chickens EAT BUGS.